This chocolate banana bread tastes like a super rich brownie, but is only about 100 calories per slice, is low fat, and can be made gluten free!
Secretly Healthy Chocolate Banana Bread
Makes two 8 inch loaves or one 10 inch loaf
- 2 large eggs (can use flax eggs)
- 1/2 cup sweetener of your choice (I used brown sugar, but have also tried it with maple syrup or honey!)
- 2/3 cup applesauce (I used unsweetened)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups mashed very ripe brown bananas (about 6 bananas)
- 2 cups flour (I used an all-purpose gluten free mix, but you could also use all-purpose flour or try using some whole wheat!)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup dark cocoa powder
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Grease a 10 inch bread pan or two 8 inch bread pans.
- Whisk together the egg, sugar, applesauce, vanilla, and bananas.
- Mix the dry ingredients and add to the wet. Mix just until combined.
- Stir in the chocolate chips (you can also save some to sprinkle on the top before you bake!).
- Bake 45 minutes for two 8-inch loaves or 1 hour for one 10-inch loaf (cook until a toothpick comes out clean or with a few crumbs attached, or even a little gooier if you want it to be more like a gooey brownie!).